Monday, July 21, 2008

:: Quick update on the nerd side of the Force ::

Last week a friend (and soon to become a customer) asked me if I could create a server for him. I said I could do it, no problem... then in the middle of the talk he said he would need a VPN... and I almost froze. Crap, I never had to create a VPN! But I said, "yes, I can do it."

So this last saturday I spent a great deal of time reading about how to setup a VPN. Yes, since I work with IT I had read about VPNs, how they work, etc. However, I had never "made one". So now was my time. Suffice to say I read about OpenVPN and "got my hands dirt". I created a Virtual Machine with VirtualBox, installed Slackware 12.1 on it and after less than an hour of testings and changes of configuration I had my "server" running.

Then I tested the VPN using my dad's computer (Windows XP), and it (the VPN) worked perfect. Then I called my friend and told him to test it over the Internet... PERFECT too :)

So today he sent me two computeres (one which will be his file server and the other will be the VPN server).

Go me! :P

No comments: