Tuesday, January 25, 2011

:: Testing KDE-4.6rc2 ::

I am testing KDE-4.6 since rc1, now in rc2. It is good, just a few changes, nothing big that I could spot. However, some "big" changes happened. For example, before I could plug a removable media (i.e. external hard drive) which was formated with ntfs file system, mount it by means of device notifier and that's it. The drive would be mounted with ntfs-3g, which allowed me to write to the disk/partition. KDE-4.6, as far as I noticed, don't use HAL anymore, it relies on UDEV. So the rules of the game have been changed. Everytime I plugged one of those disks, I was forbidden to write to the disk/partition. How to solve that?
Well, I WON'T say it works for ALL distributions, but I know it works for me, in Slackware. I created the file /etc/udev/rules.d/99-ntfs3g.rules. Inside of it I typed:

ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}=="ntfs", ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}="ntfs-3g"

Now restart your system (I simply did a /etc/rc.d/rc.udev force-restart (which is not recomended) and that's it. Now you can plug your removable ntfs formated device and you will be able to write to it ;)

No comments: